- Category: History
- Published on Saturday, 24 March 2012 18:42
The section activity had begun from the time of creation (Aug 1954) of the Interdepartmental Committee for the IGY preparation and planning (1957). First it is called as a section of gravimetry and from the period of holding of the 15th General Assembly of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG), was held at 1971 in Moscow, it had begun to be called as geodesy section.
The first head of the section from 1971 to 1997 was a correspondent member of RAS Yuriy Boulanger a world reputation scientist who had made a great contribution in development of gravimetry.
The well known geodesist and a specialist in electronic distance measurements, satellite systems and geodynamics Mikhail Prilepin gave a spell them on this position.
Twice Hero of the Soviet Union, Recipient of the state price, President of MIIGAiK, correspondent member of RAS astronaut and well known researcher in the fields of space imaging, remote sensing, geoinformatics and another fields Victor Savinikh is a head of the geodetic section from Jun 2009 to present.